- Motion title
- LGBT+ in HE
- Meeting date
- 28 May 2023
- Motion text
Conference notes with concern that
1. numerous HEIs have withdrawn from Stonewall following pressure, including from media
2. UK slipped down the ILGA Europe Rainbow Europe chart
3. there is limited research on the experiences of LGBT+ members in HEIs
Conference believes that
a. Stonewall has taken a strong trans and non-binary inclusion stance. This has been reflected in some progressive measures in HEIs.
b. Nobody should be subject to anti-LGBT+ discrimination at work
c. HEIs should be doing everything to create and develop working environments everywhere that support and defend all LGBT+ people
Conference calls for UCU to
i. send a message of support and promote Stonewall’s work
ii. survey HE members on topics including trans and non-binary inclusion, international work, and experiences of LGBT+ discrimination in HEIs.
iii. work with other education unions to advocate for LGBT+ protections across Europe and beyond
iv. collate information about international LGBT+ rights and illustrate with experiences of LGBT+ members in HEIs.
- Proposing body
- LGBT+ members' standing committee (LGBT+MSC)
- Allocated to
- Higher education committee (HEC)
- Listing reference